Saturday, June 26, 2010

Neighbors Lawn Weed Control: What to do?

Our next door neighbors just had their lawn sprayed. How do I know? Our windows were open. I heard it, saw it, felt it and smelled it. It smelled more than I have yet experienced from next door in my years living here in Monroeville, that is since 1993. I wondered why they went from the granular stuff, even though the contents are similar, to the spray...The applicator man was on a segway-like machine riding around and spraying the lawn. I went next door to ask what he was spraying. I told him it smelled more than I had ever smelled from this type of application. "Fertilizer and weed control, that's all." "And what is in the weed control, I asked?" I do not have to tell you because you are not on the government list." This applicator man went on to say, "I know where you're coming from, I'm not even wearing any kind of protection." I mentioned he ought to and he said his employer does not give him any protection and he was just doing his job.

Many years ago these same neighbors asked me to donate to the American Cancer Society. Do they see any connection between lawn chemicals and cancer, so many years later? When I see my neighbors tomorrow, I plan to suggest they start using an organic lawn care service.... I will not ask them to consider moving towards a permaculture landscape, just to use an organic lawn care service. Do my neighbors understand that even though these chemicals are legal in this country that some of these chemicals are the reason their landscape is sterile, without earthworms and life under their monoculture green grass lawn? Do my neighbors ever think about what their landscape company is doing with their grass? Do any of us realize that humans are part of the ecosystem and that what we do to our grass winds up in all of us, circulating through our blood?

Our neighbors on the other side of our home had their lawn sprayed by accident about three weeks ago. A lawn care company made a mistake and sprayed their lawn even though they were supposed to be spraying a lawn a block away with a similar address. This neighber was upset and came over and told me so. She did not know what to do. She and her family are cool. She got an in-home and outdoor composter from her family for Mother's Day this year. She told me our family has influenced her to make changes. They do not put any granular or liquid weed control on their lawn anymore. That made me feel really good. Positive change takes time and can be painful, but it is possible and after awhile it makes you feel good and understand yourself and others more deeply. Sensibilities change over time if we take the time to educate one another and teach by example.

And the BP workers at all levels are doing their job to provide our American population with cheap oil and the Marcellus Shale folks are doing their job to provide cheap gas. And what is our job to facilitate the health and healing of ourselves and our planet? How must we proceed?
I believe in the precautionary principle. Check out www.healthandenvironment.org for details on the precautionary principle. Let's figure out how to power down together in Transition! Google Rob Hopkins and In Transition, the movie, to learn more about permaculture and moving from peak oil to resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment